If you are tired of hearing remarks in your workplace that are demeaning or offensive based on your gender, or the perceived “role” of your gender, contact the experienced New York sexual harassment lawyers at Phillips & Associates. Our attorneys are dedicated to defending the rights of victims subjected to sexist words, remarks, or commentary in the workplace. We have an extensive track record of handling all types of sexual harassment claims throughout New York City and the Tri-State area.SEXUAL TERMINOLOGY, LANGUAGE, OR COMMENTARY CAN BE A FORM OF HARASSMENT
Sexism is defined as discrimination based on gender, or attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender. Although this definition often refers to women as the primary victims of this kind of conduct and men as the perpetrators, sexist remarks can affect members of either gender, and can be made by members of the same or opposite sex.
Sexist remarks include all of the following types of scenarios:
- Describing female employees by their gender in addition to their job function, e.g. the “female sales lead,” or the “woman attorney;”
- Referring to groups of males as “men,” yet referring to women as “girls,” inferring that women are less adult, and should be treated as children;
- Addressing females by terms that are not their name, and instead using:
- Terms of endearment such as honey, sugar, babe, mamacita, or chica;
- Sexually derogatory terms such as “bitch;”
- Jokes with sexual overtones that degrade members of a certain sex, whether implicitly or explicitly;
- Assuming that only members of the same gender can address each other, such as an employer telling one female worker to inform another female worker of the inappropriateness of her dress;
- Comments referring to women as not belonging in a certain field of work, or stating that they belong at home raising children; or
- General comments regarding women being unfit candidates for employment.
Sexual harassment is prohibited under New York state as well as federal law as just one type of gender discrimination, since the offending behavior deals with the victim’s gender. Although the law doesn’t protect against simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment, or if it results in an adverse employment action, such as demotion or firing.
If you believe that you have been subjected to sexual harassment in the form of sexist words, or you find someone’s persistent general comments fall under this category, try to keep a record of the nature and circumstances of the comments, in addition to the offensive words themselves.
This can be critical to establishing a pattern of conduct that rises to the level of sexual harassment.OBTAIN COUNSEL IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT
If you are tired of enduring sexist words or remarks in your workplace, contact the experienced New York sex discrimination attorneys at Phillips & Associates. Our aggressive advocates have extensive experience litigating sexual harassment and discrimination claims, and are committed to achieving the best possible outcome in your case. We understand that pursuing claims surrounding your place of employment, particularly related to such sensitive issues, can be incredibly daunting and uncomfortable. Our firm is dedicated to providing the highest quality legal representation to sexual harassment victims in all areas of New York. Call us today at (212) 248-7431 for a free, confidential consultation (we do not charge you unless we recover), or Contact Us online.
45 Broadway, Suite 620,
New York NY, 10006